We started developing games for several of our clients on mobile device ( has been few years ) . Also note that Coderecipe is now much bigger network of developers all over the world working together to create games and 3D worlds for mobile platforms !
Unity has been our choice for Android game development :) .
The point we wanted to write this article was to give back to community what we have learnt writing several games and spending infinite hours trying to get things to work !! So here we go...
One of the main roadblocks we hit when trying to write/port our games to Android using Unity was the most dreaded Androidmanifest.xml file ( This file alone can cause nightmares ! ). If your client wants to add some specific stuff like icons for a certain platform or device Assets\Plugins\Android is the place to do it !Here are the steps to follow :
- Go to <ProjectRootFolder>\Temp\StagingArea . You can find the AndroidManifest.xml and the res folder (NOTE: the Temp\StagingArea folder will only appear if you have built an APK for android )
- Copy the "res/" and AndroidManifest.xml into <ProjectRootFolder>\Assets\Plugins\Android
- Add the required changes to AndroidManifest.xml file and place the images you need into required folders inside res/ folder.
- Make sure the minimum sdk version matches your requirements.
- Rebuild you APK inside unity using "File -> Build Settings -> Build"
- Unity will now pickup the AndroidManifest.xml file and the changes you made from <ProjectRootFolder>\Assets\Plugins\Android folder.
That's it ! This should allow you to make changes to icons etc when you build your APK ( you could also write a few scripts that would swap the needed icons )